The health of your teeth depends a lot on what you eat. If you don’t follow a balanced diet, your oral health will definitely suffer over time. After all, teeth too require care, nourishment and nutrients like other body parts and if not provided, they can be harmed. Your pearly whites will suffer if your foods are not rich in key minerals and elements like vitamins, calcium, magnesium, vitamin D etc. Not all foods however contain those helpful ingredients, so can harm your teeth a lot. Worse still, consumption of sugar or acidic content too can put your teeth in danger. So, consult a top dentist Greenpoint and know more in this regard.
Here are some of bad foods for your teeth –
(1) Sour Candies – Sour candies are bad for your teeth. They harm the teeth for two reasons – first, the presence of acids and second, their chewy or sticky nature. If the acid content in them can cause enamel erosion, then the stickiness of them can lead to decay. Any candy that you chew for longer than usual can harm your teeth a lot, so rather eat chocolate and wash away the mouth immediately afterwards.
(2) Bread – The bread you tastefully devour every morning is actually bad for your teeth. How? Because, the saliva in mouth breaks the starch in it into sugar. Plus, the breaking up creates a sticky substance which can seep into the pores and stay there for long to cause cavities. And the added sugar in it can harm the enamel in the long run. So, think twice again before biting a piece of bread as it can harm your teeth.
(3) Alcohol – Alcohol consumption is not only injurious to health but also to your teeth as well. It can cause dry mouth characterized by lack of saliva and dehydration. In such a condition, your mouth will not be able to wash away the foods, plaque and bacteria that it receives leading to a host of dental problems. You however can drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
(4) Carbonated Drinks – Stay away from carbonated drinks if you want healthy teeth. When you drink them, you let more acid production in the mouth which can attack the tooth enamel. These drinks ensure that all your teeth are always coated in acid with great risk of decay, cavities and damage. Don’t forget the colours and additives used in them cause stains and such drinks even lead to dry mouth.
(5) Oranges and lemons – Although oranges, grapefruits and lemons are high in vitamin C, they still are harmful for your teeth. The high level of acid in them can erode enamel and increase the risks of decay. You however can drink them in moderation, preferably at meal, to benefit from the vitamins and antioxidants present in them. If you overdo them, the acid in them will definitely cause troubles for your dental health.
(6) Dried Fruits – Not all dried fruits are good for your dental health. Some like raisins, figs and apricots are sticky in nature and get clung in the eat and their crevices. They this help sugar and saliva to meet and produce acid which is always bad for your teeth. To minimize their harm, you should rinse the mouth with water after eating them, or you can eat them raw for more benefits and less harm.
In overall, not all foods are good for your dental health and the earlier your understand that the better. If any doubt, it’s always better to consult a dentist Greenpoint and know the good foods for your teeth.