Yes, repeated scaling can damage our teeth! Even though the procedure is advised by dentists to clean the teeth to keep oral complications away, doing it in excess is always harmful. With repeated scaling of teeth, there is always more chances of diseases and oral infections striking to the person undergoing the procedure. It’s also true that lack of teeth scaling might make teeth loosen over time, overdoing it can also make gums tender and swollen.
Worse still, heart experts warn people against the risks of teeth scaling as it can increase concerns in those suffering from heart problems and diabetic conditions. Teeth scaling is indeed an important dental procedure but there are side effects which you can’t wish away or ignore. The procedure, which is also sometimes referred to as ‘root planing’ is very helpful in removing the plaque built up at the gum pocket.
The use of tooth scaling procedure is also done to remove tartar from the gum line so that the desired level of smoothness can be delivered to the gum line. Given the benefits and risks of teeth scaling and polishing, it becomes necessary for patients to first discuss with the dentist the procedure and its utility in detail before consenting for the same.
Complications of teeth scaling
Plaque build-up is something that is experienced by almost everyone at some stage in life. The bacteria in plaque can lead to gum disease and tooth decay. And when gum disease starts to develop, it can make the tissue around the teeth and gumline loosen. That’s why the dentist recommends scaling to get removed the plaque and treat the gum disease. However, besides obvious benefits, teeth scaling can also have some complications as well, including –
1. Teeth scaling is important and not getting it in a timely manner or having inadequate scaling could make the teeth loosen. Worse still, people who don’t get scaling are always at risk of losing multiple teeth over time. Additionally, teeth scaling could bring some complications to those suffering from diabetes or affected by heart problems.
2. Chances of gum disease or periodontal diseases may gup in cases where teeth scaling is inappropriate, and such problems are progressive in nature. More so, periodontal diseases occur mainly due to the deposition or build-up of bacterial plaque beneath the gum line. It’s therefore important to prevent the accumulation of bacteria and food debris to maintain healthy gums forever.
3. Swollen and tender gums may happen when you take teeth scaling on a repeated basis. However, you can avert dental issues easily by taking scaling procedure regularly as it helps avoid accumulation of plaque under the gum line. In some cases, people who undergo tooth scaling are also at greater risks for teeth’s sensitivity to hot and cold foods or drinks. Similarly, lack of proper scaling may expose the roots as the gums start to shrink, which can lead to bleeding gums.
4. Dentists strongly advise people to avoid smoking for few days after having undergone teeth scaling procedure. Else, the gums might suffer, and the healing can be delayed as well. It’s also important to avoid eating foods like chips, nuts etc. as they get deposited in the gums.
Risks of teeth scaling
Teeth scaling can bring some risks or threats to teeth and one must understand that well before consenting for the procedure. Once you know those risks, you would be better placed to benefit from the procedure.
Here are some of risks of teeth scaling –
- Chances of dental complications remain high in cases where the accumulation of tartar or plaque crosses the limit of 3 millimetres
- The level of risks can go higher of the plaque deposition crosses the limit of 3 millimetre as this is where gum pockets can be affected
- Periodontal disease is more likely to happen when gum pockets get more accumulation of plaque that usual
Clearly, teeth scaling has some risks and side effects, but most are minimal type and therefore, best ignored. With teeth scaling cost being in the affordable limit, it always makes sense to benefit from the procedure to get removed plaque from gum line and teeth and minimize chances of periodontal disease.